Monday, May 18, 2009

Carrot Cake

At the beginning of the month we celebrated both my husband and my middle son's birthday a day apart. So I made two cakes, one went to work for my husband's 40th birthday. It was a Chocolate Cake with Butter cream filling and frosting then covered with Chocolate Ganache covered (very rich). The second cake was a Carrot Cake (we are also a nut free house as far as cakes go).

* 3 1/2 cups grated carrots
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cups white sugar
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons ground chai spice blend (found in grocery spice aisle)
* 4 eggs
* 3/4 cups vegetable oil
* 3/4 cups buttermilk
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice


* 4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 2(8 ounce) package Neufchatel cheese
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine grated carrots, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in eggs, oil, 2 teaspoon vanilla, pineapple and Spoon batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
4. To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, Neufchatel cheese, 1/2 cup butter or margarine and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until smooth, Spread on cooled cake.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds soooo good. I just have a question: what is Neufchatel cheese? Is this like cream cheese?? I am not a baking guru like you! :):)

    Oh, yeah, I just noticed also...what is ground chai spice?? Seriously, I come from a little corn and beans town, and I have never, ever seen this. If I can't find it, could I substitute something else??

    I really like this blog; I have visited your other one, but this is the first time I've been here!! I am now craving Carrot Cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, SonyaAnn and A. Marie, Yes it is cream cheese hehehe but like a no name brand will do. The chai spice is a mixture of cinnamon, ginger and sugar. It is made by McCormick. I like Chai Tea and had bought it for putting in my tea. And thought Hey lets try it in the cake.

    ReplyDelete